Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Design notes

   I have amassed multiple pages of brain rumblings on design and random thoughts on systems and priorities.
Energy management first and foremost.
    Stove / Oven: At first I was under the impression that a commercial Motor home stove just wouldn't cut the mustard with this build. My wife wants to use this bus as a retirement cooking circuit vehicle. My mind said "all out galley" 4 gas burners and separate oven, maybe ovens. LP cook tops not a problem, easy to find. Dual and single LP ovens a little more tricky.  Electric is flat OUT no way to support an electric beast on battery. Now thinking on it How many times have you used all 4 burners on your stove? By the deposits on our home unit it is easy to see that we favor the large burner and one medium for most of everyday cooking. In that light a 3 burner LP unit with one large burner up front will suffice.
     Fridge:  Most motor homes use a gas absorption unit.  (Ammonia cycle) in short they use heat to make cold. The excess heat needs to be dealt with via vents or some other method Going over energy use of a standard high efficient refrigerator if the door isn't open all the time they run very little. So devise a latch to keep the doors from flying open during transit and use a home unit.
    Cooling: Most Motor homes use roof mounted AC units. This is the easy option and I could be running that direction.  But... If I get the Gen set from the refrigeration trailer it has plenty of guts to run a regular home unit. If I can find a 110v unit with large enough capacity I could plumb a Aircraft style duct work and central air the coach.
    Heat: I already explained to some extent on the previous posting. Both water and coach heat can be accomplished with hot water heat. Zoned with thermostats for each area via base board heat and controlled by valving opening the loop demanding heat. Dedicated loop for a water to water heat exchanger for Hot water for showers and washing dishes.  At one point in time I started to design a way to keep the fresh, Gray, and, Black water tanks from freezing in cold weather. Then it hit me put the Diesel burner (Wabasto) in the same bay as the tanks. The thermal spill from the unit will keep the bay and everything in it above freezing. Just have to insulate the bay from extreme cold.
  Plumbing: Speaking of extreme cold all plumbing lines need to have a low spot drain built in to the lines for purging all water for cold storage. The only exception is drain traps RV antifreeze will provide protection from freezing.
    Electricity:  Still in infant stage there. Depending on what is available the system will have 110v possibly 240v 12v or 24v battery banks plus inverter for 110v off grid and generator power.
    Lighting:  Everything I can I want to convert to LED lighting not only for the power consumption but the length of life on the units.  For $99.00 I can buy some neat solid track lights and if I can find replacement 12v led lamps to put in them I could run the entire system on 12v direct instead of using a 110v to 12v transformer.

No comments:

Post a Comment